Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Beautiful Day

The Boston Marathon is officially 110 years old. Whether you ran, cheered or volunteered, you were part of one of Boston’s greatest traditions. You were part of the history. You were part of what makes "Boston" the best marathon there is.

How do you top yesterday? Boston weather that runners dream of...a come-from-behind Red Sox win at Fenway on a two-out, two-run walkoff homer by second baseman Mark Loretta... a new course record (2:07:14) by Kenyan Robert Cheruiyot... and three American runners finishing in the Top 5. Awesome.

----

Thanks for reading my Boston Marathon blog. I’ve learned a lot about the world’s oldest marathon and I hope you’ve picked up a few things as well. There are still so many stories to tell so as The Terminator would say, “ I’ll be back.”

Before you go, check out the archives. Whether you’ll be running your first or twenty-first Boston Marathon next year, there’s loads of helpful information in there to get you ready.

That's it for now. My blog will be on hiatus until next training season. Send an e-mail now to hop2boston@yahoo.com and when I start up the blog in January ’07, I’ll be sure to send you a message.

See you in January 2007.

All the best,
John

Correction - A few months ago I had a blog entry regarding the one-time starting line in Ashland. A source I used stated that at the time (1996) there wasn’t any tribute or statue commemorating the original starting line.

However, after perusing Boston Marathon & Beyond, a new book included in each Boston Marathon runner’s gift bag this year, I learned about the Ashland Marathon Park on Pleasant Street. The park includes “historic stations along a pathway and boardwalk to document the Boston Marathon...” The park was dedicated in 2003.