Friday, February 24, 2006

A few words from Boston Marathon wheelchair champion Ernst Van Dyk

If you thought the Patriots were the only dynasty in New England, think again. Ernst Van Dyk, the South African wheelchair racer, has conquered the Boston Marathon the last five years. He goes for a record no. 6 in '06.

Van Dyk is the only wheelchair racer in history to win Boston five times in a row and one of only 3 men who have 5 Boston victories (Franz Nietlispach 1995, 1997-2000; Jim Knaub 1982, 83, 91-93).

What’s his secret? I caught up with Ernst online to ask him about his preparation for Boston…

“I prepare for a season,” Van Dyk said. “Boston is a main priority so I will make sure to do the right stuff to arrive in peak condition in Boston. For me it has become an individual time trial so I train for this. Long, hard fast rides on my own to make sure I can sustain the pace needed to stay in front. I however expect that a couple of guys have raised the bar and this year they will give me a race rather than a chase.”

Van Dyk cites his first Boston win in 2001 as the sweetest in the streak.

“I was a nobody coming from nowhere. I ended up beating the best guys in the world at that stage by over 6 minutes.”

Learn more about Ernst at his website .

Thanks Ernst. Good luck in 2006.

Labels: