Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Boston Marathon and Super Bowl

The Boston Marathon ranks behind only the Super Bowl in terms of on-site media coverage of a single day sporting event. More than 250 outlets and 1,100 media members from around the world descend on Boston every year to cover the marathon.

FYI - Former NFL running back Roger Craig, who was in a few Super Bowls with the 49ers, said this in a Runners World interview about hoping to run Boston one day:

I could probably get into Boston because of my celebrity and all that, but I don't want to do it that way. There's a big-time physician here at Stanford. He's telling me, "I can get you in." I said, "Look, doctor, I don't want to go in that way. I want to earn the right to go in." Because if I earn the right, it's going to be the biggest accomplishment ever for me, because Boston is definitely the Super Bowl of all marathons. So when I earn the right to be there, I'll be gratified. I'll be happy.