Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ladies & Gentlemen, Bill Rodgers



A key tip on running Boston is to prepare by doing lots of downhill running. Another is to race cautiously in the 1st 15 miles and save your strength for the Boston hills (and their wonderful downhills!); conserve energy to be conscious of the world's greatest Marathon fans and their applause!

My favorite memory of Boston is winning in '75 in the fastest time in the world that year, the 4th fastest run to that point, and also a new American record; it was an honor. What meant a lot was that my brother Charlie, who I started running with, my coach Billy Squires, and my mentor at Wesleyan University who taught me about the marathon, Amby Burfoot--who took Boston in '68--were with me to celebrate. Victory is sweet.


Bill
Thanks Bill. If you're interested in a copy of the print above by artist Andrew Yelenak click here

Labels: