Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Training, part 1

This year I'm applying the "less is more" principle to my marathon training. But is it really less? Or just different. Let me explain.

I've tried more than a few training plans over the years. One year I ran six days a week with one day of rest. Some years I ran five days with one day of rest and one day of cross-training, like riding a stationary bike.

But here's what I'm doing this year:

Sunday - Long run with L St Running Club
Monday - Yoga
Tuesday - approx. 6-8 flat miles with L St Running Club
Wednesday - Yoga
Thursday - approx. 6-8 miles , some hills, with L Street RC
Friday - Yoga
Saturday - Rest, short run or yoga

I got the idea of alternate-day running from an article I saw in Runners World. But it's really not all that new. Running every other day allows your body to recover in time for your next workout. Plus, two 8-milers still equals four 4-milers, right?

I also try to pick up the pace on Tuesday and Thursday runs so they become "fast" workouts.

So far so good. These past few weeks I've been on the road 3 or 4 days a week instead of 5 or 6. And so far I love it. I'll see the results in April.

I'll go deeper into my training tomorrow. See ya.